Thursday, February 25, 2010

Skating in Fresh Powder



This is a picture from my last skating day of the season. I arrived to a canal covered with a blanket of snow but still fun to skate on. The snow then turned to rain and had its way with the canal by the time of my return trip. The last few days have brought more rain so the Winter Commute Season of 2010 is officially over. However, the spring commute season is just beginning, with its own set of challenges and advantages. I am going to discuss a few things I have learned and accomplished from the last few weeks of getting to school and back:

-Skating on the canal is very special and brings out the best in people. I had many good conversations and good experiences just taking my skates on and off. A few that stand out are one with a fellow ski touring enthusiast, another with some Aeronautical Engineering students and also one with a visitor from Vermont taking his first steps on skates.

-I was able to significantly increase my fitness level in the span of a few short weeks. From feeling I am the most alert and awake person in my 8:30 am class to feeling the burn on the last climb before home, the body loves fresh air and exercise. I also had a streak of 12 consecutive school days without missing a bike or skate to and from class. The goal for next year is going to be to top that.

-I also accomplished all of the goals I initially outlined and one other which I did not mention. Namely, I had a great time and found an efficient way to exercise. My other goal was not to fall over. The way I accomplished this was to take my time and be careful. I think I can apply this philosophy to all other areas in life.

So now that I can close the book on Winter Commuting lets talk about the spring. The plan is to ride the bike every school day from tomorrow until April 29th when my exams are over. Modulo the constraint that I will not bike in icy conditions. (I am a math major remember) So what is biking in the spring all about? Trying to stay clean and dry at the dirtiest and wettest time of the year. Notice I say trying because if you plan on biking in the next little while you will get dirty and wet. What guidelines do I follow:

1) Gumboots: Kiwis know it and so should the rest of the girls I seeing wearing soaking wet UGS all day long.
2) Bike Safe: I saw a woman with a bike covered in Christmas lights, this woman is significantly lowering her risk of an unwanted vehicular encounter.
3) Dry Clothes: Bring them with you because they will make you and the people around you more pleasant.
4) Take care of your bike and it will take care of you: Wipe it down and lube it up.

So if you spot a guy biking through a giant puddle grinning like a Cheshire Cat, that's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment